Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Lake City, CO -- End of Sept, 2nd visit with my folks on their Alaska road trip

I was happy to have a chance to see my folks in Colorado, so work site visits in Albuquerque and Denver provided an excuse and airfare. It was over two months since Rahel and I spent time with them in Alaska! Our photo selections are on Picasa here.

September 24-26, 2011. After getting the rental Jeep Laredo, stopping for burritos, and doing a quick site visit, Rahel and I left Albuquerque late on Saturday morning for the 5-hour drive to Lake City. Santa Fe was as congested as ever, but the drive on up across the border, over Wolf Creek pass, and along the upper Rio Grande River was very nice. Perfect timing to see the miles of golden Aspen leaves too. So the reason for meeting in Lake City, in the middle of nowhere, is because I've got my eye on a small piece of land overlooking Lake San Cristobal, and wanted to go have a look around before the snow might arrive. Rahel is always excited at the possibility of being in the mountains (and is also keen on this 10-acre spot with a great view) so we all arranged to meet for two nights at the lake.

Donna from Hall Realty was kind enough to meet us at Lake Cristobal to ride up the mountain and show us the exact location of the mining claim. We took one of two ways up, both of which are nothing more than jeep trails (former mine trail/roads) that go from about 9000' elevation at the lake to 10800' at the level areas of the parcel. I think the road is about three miles, but it is tough for anything less than a real off-road vehicle. Our city slicker Jeep was struggling in a few locations. Passengers were occasionally required to get out and help push. Well, we made it up, and in time to walk around and take in the evening autumn colors over Colorado's 2nd largest natural lake. That view is what makes this place on the east side of the San Juan mountains so nice. And the scrapes and rock dent on the passenger door were part of the fun too.

Next day, mom, dad, Rahel, and I drove around the lake and took the alternate route up Round Top Moutain to spend a little more time looking around. We explored a few of the old mine sites along the way, where a few people are actively digging in their tunnels and rock tailing piles. Our ride was good for most of the trail, but things got too steep and rocky near the top, so the last ½ mile was on foot. Very remote, but cell phones work and town is not far. I hope to drag my parents up there again next year! Plenty of nice RV campgrounds nearby. Juju can run around....

Rahel and I drove on to Denver, where she left on Monday for work travel, and I stayed a night with an old college friend in Boulder. He went along with me on the site visit in Arvada too. For a big city, Denver has some nice places nearby to get away. Dallas is a decent place, but I always felt that I moved the wrong way from Lubbock. :)

Until next time,

Jay & Rahel

1 comment: